Thursday, July 24, 2008

Receive the power, To be a light unto the world

500 emails (3 quarters of which are forwards -.-) and close to 20 hours of sleep later, I am only about halfway to recovery from my 10-day long rest and water deprivation. I'll get back to email-replying and day-by-day WYD blog updates (as per requests) once I fully recover... possibly within the next couple of days, although the sloth in me says otherwise. I haven't even fully unpacked everything yet. Heehee.

I am allowing myself to succumb to my laziness for the next few days, the 10-day sleep-deprived trip being my excuse. First week of Sem 2 2008 has officially passed without me attending any classes at all. I guess the promise I made myself last sem to cut down on my truancy has yet to be fulfilled. =D
Just a little about WYD before I go off to lala-land again. Much as I really enjoyed it, I kinda think people should be a bit more respectful at a religious event such as this. There really wasn't much chance to really spend some time with God, what with the crowds cheering and screaming every chance they get. People chattered away while others were testifying, what was meant to be praise and worship was turned into concerts, and once you do settle down to pray or to "receive the power", a ball hits you on the head because some people treated this whole event like a summer camp by the beach. There were also endless complaints about the food and the event venues etc. etc. Let me just say one thing. We registered as pilgrims. As pilgrims, we're supposed to suffer. So what if the food was bad? It's enough that it keeps us full. So what if we had to walk all over Sydney to get from one event to another? Jesus suffered 1000 times more than we did. So what if a lot of the events weren't as properly organised than we had hoped? It must have already taken them tons of effort to have put together such a huge event. Sometimes I feel people just expect too much. It isn't easy accommodating for 270 000 people.
Nevertheless, it was a thoroughly enlightening experience and I don't regret one single tiny bit for participating. I went with no expectations, and therefore, I was pleasantly surprised by every bit of WYD. Given the chance, I would gladly relive it every day of my life. =) It opened my eyes to a lot of things, and showed me that we really can make a difference if we really try, even if we are only one individual in this humongous world.
Did I mention that after days of complaining that Sydney is really hot for winter, I think I much rather have that than the freezing cold rainy winter days of Toowoomba? Brrrrrr. Dear Lord, it would be very nice if I could possibly go back to Malaysia soon. =)
And with that, I'm off to where the flying donkeys prance and rainbow ponies sing. Good night!

7 comments:

audree said...

Oh! I cannot stand these people too! Which explains why I was quite cranky throughout the "Receive the Power" worship. So annoying!

Oh well! These things are beyond our control lah! I guess we just need more patience in everything we do. I guess maybe we will be blessed much for our tolerance! =P

-Receive the "Pao".. Char Siew Pao? LOL.

Super Gentleman said...

270000?!?! o_0 so big mehh d event... its human nature to complain anywayz... hahaha

yah yah cum bek malaysia liao... its kuching festival time... muahaha...

Joce said...

drey: I wan bak pao! Haha, everytime I hear that song it makes me hungry, not good lah u, I'm really cravings paos! Seriously... lol, adelaide chinatown sells paos kan?

bong: Yes the event is that big, u imagine the whole of Sydney taken over by us wor, and Sydney is I think possibly 10 times the size of Kuching, you think leh?

Kch fest, I want I want I want! I miss kuching food, my mum just sent me like 6 packets of laksa paste, lol. You know what I want from kch fest? Dragon whiskers and fried icecream!

Ignorance said...

chicken.. u guys just had to mention about kuching fest.. sien lor like this.. all the good and oily and unhealthy food.. sui lor u bong.. eat a lot lor.. i hope u lau sai from eating too much lor.. :P:P:P boring la me here..

clam clam sick so cannot meet me.. i come here 3 weeks still havent see him u know.. not that i'm eager to see him anyway..

GAHHH.. no friends la here.. sigh

Joce said...

ah bong brought it up! blame him! Haha, I wanna gooooo =(

Come Inn, we fly back just for kch fest ya? Like we're so rich, lol. Don't rely on clemiao to meet up. I was there for 6 months and we only met a total of... 3 times? And one of those 3 times was just coincidental. Like I went to buy groceries and he was there getting groceries too. And that was it. Haha.

You still have zhou jie lun what.

Ignorance said...

zhou jie lun??!! useless la him..

zhou jie lun got gf d.. so messed up ok the situation before he and the gf get together.. got me so stressed..

oh.. i dint know mark leslie's wife is a malaysian. nyahahha.. she cooking malaysian food for us for merdeka day.. woot!!! :P i shall tapau for u.. =D

Joce said...

Haha, then they all same one la, got gf forget friends, so sad, clem clem too (he better not read this, heehee)

SO NICE I ALSO WANT!!! I'm selling sarawak laksa during the open day here on august, want some? Come and buy lah, nyahaha, oh I know, we can trade, you tapau mark leslie's wife's food and I save some of my laksa for you =D