Sunday, October 26, 2008

I laughed the loudest, Who'd have known

In the lead-up to exams (which I am yet to start studying for), I... almost.... burnt my whole house down. O.O

Cravings for KFC are never a good thing. I haven't had KFC for... more than a year (oh yes, I am that sad), and decided to fry my own chicken to satisfy my cravings.
So there I was happily crumbing my chicken while the oil was heating in the saucepan behind me. As I was coating my final piece of chicken, I heard a "whoosh" behind me. To my horror, the saucepan was on fire.... no small fire at that. I picked up the saucepan and considered for a second about using water, but I remembered from my science classes of long ago that this was NOT a good idea for an oil-started fire. So putting the saucepan on the widest empty bit of floor in the house, I tugged the Fire Blanket and threw it (literally) over the pan. Opening the dining room sliding door, I watched in hopes that the fire would die down. It didn't.
Dashing upstairs, I called "YVONNE YVONNE!!!" and frantically knocked her door saying "fire downstairs fire fire!". See, the reason I called her was 'cause I had hoped she knew what to do, seeing as she was 33 and probably more experienced in said events. It turned out, she panicked more than me. She turned to pull out the Fire Blanket. The very same Fire Blanket that was already on top of the saucepan 'cause I put it there. -.- She soon realised that, with a "Eh, where? Oh you've already put it on!" We stood, choking and watching the fire, and I asked her (pretty calmly, I'm proud to add =D) "What should we do? Doesn't seem like the fire blanket's working. Do we have a fire extinguisher?" And her reply? "No, we don't!!! What to do what to do?!!!! I donno I donno!!!!" The exclamation marks are no exaggeration. Hilarity.
She then ran across the road to call the management dude (thank goodness our unit was so close to management), and the guy very calmly walked across to our house and very very calmly picked up the sides of the fire blanket and stuffed it all on top of the saucepan. And I do mean very calmly. Seemed like it was an everyday event to him. He brought the smothering saucepan outside and starting airing out the house. And he said that in the future if it ever happened again, I should leave the saucepan on the stove and CALMLY lay the Fire Blanket over it, but that I had done a good job anyway.
Am I traumatised? Why, of course not. It's not like I almost died or anything. Who would be traumatised? *sits in a corner playing with fingers and going "heh heh. heh heh heh. heh heh."*
I don't suppose I'm gonna be deep-frying anything for quite a while. And my life has probably been shortened by a couple of years considering the amount of toxic smoke I just inhaled. But, all's well that ends well yes? Yes yes yes?
The moral of this story: Grilled chicken is better than fried chicken. Healthier and much safer. Mmmmmm...

2 comments:

Super Gentleman said...

LoL... wad happened with the coated chicken wings? did u deep fry them again? LOL...

Joce said...

I ended up grilling my chicken DRUMSTICKS, lol, never said they were wings =P

Horror, I think I subconsciously try to scare myself and put myself in horrible situations 'cause life is too boring. O.O