Thursday, April 26, 2007

Expectations and hope

Even though I'm having hols this week, I hardly feel like I'm having time off at all. In between having assignments to complete and worry about, series to catch up with, I feel the obligation to start meeting up with friends I haven't seen in aeons. I haven't yet got around to doing so, but I really have to, soooon... before my so-called hols are over anyway.

I realised a long time ago that I was the kinda girl who looks at life through rose-tinted glasses. The kind that would like to believe that this world is perfect. The kind that wouldn't believe anyone was capable of evil of any sort unless someone's throat was slit right in front of my eyes. The kind that trusts everyone she meets, and believes that everyone's intentions are pure and good...and end up trusting the wrong people. Much time has passed since I was that girl. Yet now, I'm still very much that same girl. Except instead of believing all that, I just wish all that.
I've always been overly-passionate about the direction the world is taking and that people should know better than to destroy the world we live in. So much so that I always get so frustrated at the way people are nowadays. There are more deceitful people in this world than there are trustworthy people. Lies, greed, deception, back-stabbing just for the fun of it, etc... all daily happenings that I have no control over, and that frustrates me. It's not that I wanna play God, because I know God is the only one who has control over all this. But it's frustrating to know that there are actually so many of these kinda people in this world. It's frustrating to know that there's really nothing we can do to help. Because we're each only one person. What good can one person do against a whole world of hypocrites.
I was the kind of person that expects this world to be perfect... who expects life to be perfect... But as impossible as I know it is for myself to be perfect because I know I'm far from perfection, I beat myself up mentally whenever I screw up something in my life. I over-stress myself to produce outstanding results, even though I'm a lazy ass who always falls asleep trying to study. And get overly disappointed when sometimes I don't get the "A" I wanted. I overload my time with activities, even though sometimes I get so tired and just need some rest. I am overly sensitive, even though I tell myself a million times over that it doesn't matter what other people think of me. And honestly sometimes I think it's just all in my head. I expect too much from life. I expect too much of myself. I'm horrible aren't I. =(
And yet today, after realising all that, I am still that girl. The one who feels that there is still hope yet for this world. That things may still turn out the way I want them to. That some people may realise how stupid they are for acting the way they do and doing the things they do. That maybe, one day, everyone will be happy with what they have and not wish for more. That, as cliche and corny as this sounds, there might one day be true peace in this world. After all, I do believe that as long as there is still hope in one person, there is hope for everyone else. But then again, maybe all this optimism isn't good for me, 'cause the pessimism is concentrated elsewhere. =S
Every once in a while, I get this sudden burst of hope that someone will, one day, save the world. Maybe I've been idolising superheroes (who are obviously fictional) for far too long. =)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should read richard dawkins' The Selfish Gene.

we are who we think we are. if it weren't for our thought processes, we'd just be another piece of biological machinery. and so let's take away our thought processes (for millenia from now, our thoughts and our 'souls' would not be here) and all that this world would have would be biological machines that continually strive to upgrade and evolve, attempting to become an entity that is far better than other machines around it. survival of the fittest.

but dawkins' book wasn't about survival of the fittest, it was bout how the gene is selfish because it has to be selfish in order to survive. in a way, you could say that being selfish is one of the ways of being 'fit' enough to survive, that being selfish is essential to survive.

but then, humans come along with their silly thought processes bout how the world is good n that selfishness should be done away with. and without their consciousness realising it, they upgraded to a different level of selfishness -- apparent altruism. with apparent altruism, u seem to be kind/good/nice/decent/helpful/generous without any secondary motives. but then, by being kind/good/nice/decent/helpful/generous, u may actually gain a friend or an ally who might be able to help u in the future and thus increase ur chances of survival.

at the end of the day, there is no such thing as altruism because we all need to survive. sometimes i wonder if God started creation as a joke...asking us to be good while already knowing that we're evil..

but maybe that's how we show God that we love him.

but then, why do we love him? unless if to get him on our side in this competition against the rest, so that we may increase our chance of survival?

hahaha, always makes me feel better thinking this way...at least i don't have to hope, only to be disappointed =)

Joce said...

since when did you become such the cynic? what has UK done to you?! lol I am still the wishful idiot who believes that the world can be good... maybe too much human anatomy isn't good for you, you're having such cynical skeptical thoughts

I still do believe that this perfect world may one day exist, if not in our lifetime, maybe I'm just naive that way, but if that's the case, I'ld rather remain hopeful and happy, than cynical and bitter (not that I'm saying you're bitter okay, ahah)

OH, got your letter today btw, I'm gonna reply you soon soon soonn! as soon as my assignments get completed =)

Anonymous said...

cynical and bitter..
doesn't sound much like me, does it?
haha well, it's just a way to think, another way of approaching life n looking at it.
but just cos i said it, doesn't mean that i mean it. in other words, a statement isn't a stand.
i think i take back my conclusion to my previous comment tho haha!

Joce said...

i never said u were bitter, just cynical, lol, i just think it's better to have hope than not at all, i had a point when i started this paragraph but i kinda forgot it, haha

(it would be cool though if superheroes did exist =P.. good ones of course)

Anonymous said...

hope is one thing, but to get so hooked on to it and never seeing the reality of it?

it's the making for disappointment and heartbreak.

i don't hope that my friends will come through for me. cos if i did and they didn't come through for me, i know i'm one of the most unforgiving people. so either i start to learn to forgive, or i stop hoping that they'll come through for me.

and forgiving is so hard when u'v been lied to and deceived; especially by friends who say they were only looking after your best interests.

so i'm gonna go with not hoping. altho in all reality, i do hope i'll get through this. and i pray that god will show me how and teach me forgiveness.

i guess i am bitter.

Joce said...

yeah I suppose everyone's different that way, I know the kind of disappointment you have to endure when friends let you down, I've been through it too. But to me, I'ld still rather hope and have faith than not to at all. But we're different people and the way we think is different.

But don't worry, you'll always be the chicken in uk who's going to fly here to see me, ahem. =D As cliche as it sounds, I'll always (try to) be there for you, erm, however much I can anyway, considering the millions of miles between us.

Anonymous said...

i think i just need time.

and you go do your work ah!