Saturday, August 26, 2006

Nature.. beautiful cute nature

This morning was the first time it rained so heavily in Kuching in such a long time! Be gone, haze! (if it thunderstorm-ed the past two or three days, it's not counted 'cause I was in Sibu so I wouldn't know=P) I love rainy mornings like that, when I can just sit on the veranda admiring nature.. I have a big garden, and an even more giganticous forest next to my house. I think rainy days are so romantic. Depending, of course, on situations and location. But, generally, I think rain is so romantic.. erm, rephrase.. I think rain without lightning and ear-splitting thunder is so romantic.

This morning, while my parents were sitting on the veranda talking, my dad suddenly shouted for me. Rushing there, thinking something must have happened to him, they both hushed me and told me to look at the plant beside my dad. It was one of the only plants in my garden which was just barely out of the rain 'cause it was slightly under the roof. And I saw this. What is it you ask? I personally thought it was a bee at first. I was about to scold my parents for making me run all the way out there to see a bee, an insect that I usually run away from. Then, upon closer inspection, I realised it had this long-ass mouth thing! It was flitting from flower to flower on that plant and sticking its "mouth" into the pollen sacs, extracting sweet nectar.. or so I imagined anyway. My mum claims that it's a hummingbird. But, I think it's a hummingbird moth (got this from the Net). A hummingbird looks like this:
See, no freaking long beak/mouth thing, and a heck lot cuter! My mum is still convinced its a hummingbird though. I'm waking up early tomorrow, and waiting for the lil rascal to come steal nectar again.. then I'm gonna konk it on the head, and examine it, and prove that I know the difference between a hummingbird and a hummingbird moth! =D

I also came across something else in my backyard, shortly after the discovery of the little humming thing.

Little baby chicks!! I have no idea HOW they got into my backyard, but they were there running around, playing in the rain. Such are the wonders of nature. Those adorable little things are so evasive though. My dad tried to catch them to return them to their mummy, but they ran like lil ostriches. In the end, he just gave up and left them to find new residence in my backyard. I can still hear their little cries out there.. their oh-so-cute lil cries!
Rainy days are so romantic (and peaceful). =)

No comments: