Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Please..

will you guys stop getting on my case? I've made up my mind, I'm going to do hotel and resort management. I will never become a doctor or lawyer or anything else you guys expect me to be. You guys think that just because I've had good results all my life, that I should pursue something more challenging and all. But, even my career guidance counsellor told me that being smart (although I really don't think that I'm smart.. but other people seem to be under the impression that I am.. 0.O) doesn't determine my future.. when it comes to work, it's all down to personality. And I know for a fact that I'm not the type of person who can sit down at my desk and do the same thing every single day. I need variety, and I need people interaction. I'm a highly hyperactive person when it comes to work (but a highly lazy person otherwise ;). That fact alone already cuts out a lot of courses from my list.

So, I'm going to ignore the next person that tells me I shouldn't be doing hotel and resort management 'cause I'm perfectly capable of pursuing something like medicine (I'm so not interested in medicine.. long years.. high stress.. do you guys not know how lazy a person I am??). The next time any of you wanna make a comment about it not being the right course for me, keep this in mind.. something Sim said to me a couple of days ago: "Sometimes I think it's better that smart people take these kinda courses.. then you won't have any competition." (yeah, for once I actually listen to Sim.. heeheehee).. and what hiao miao said: "As long as you're interested, who are they to go against it.. it's UR future.. not theirs. You've already made up your mind." Jon: "I'll support you no matter what you take la.. don't care bout what others say. I know they think just because you're smart but then this course isn't exactly for stupid people one okay. It's not easy. Don't worry, ur friends will sure support you.. haha." (always the supportive friend.. love u to bits! =)
I'm interested in that course because it covers not only theory aspects, but practical as well. And being the hyperactive person that I am, I would rather not just sit in classes everyday listening to lecturers. I think it's an interesting course, and it also offers a wide range of jobs in the future. Considering I don't even know what I wanna work as next time, I think it's a good choice. AND, it's not as easy as you guys think it is. I've seen the course structure.. and it looks pretty challenging to me. Do you honestly think it's easy to manage hotels.. or manage ANYTHING for that matter? According to what I've seen on the website.. I have like 8-10 subjects per semester and 7-8 hours of classes a day. Now who's telling me that this isn't a tough course huh?
And for those people telling me "but then next time you'll have to start from the bottom of the hotel". Who starts from the top I ask you first? Like if I study medicine, I'm gonna start out as a fresh face as well, and it would require a lot of hard work to build a good reputation and become a famous sought-after doctor/surgeon etc. Same goes for any other course. Any job you take you'll also have to start from the bottom and climb to the top! Unless you're the manager's son/daughter/spouse/lover etc. then that would be a different story altogether.
I admit, I've never even thought about this course till a couple of days ago. But, my mind is set now, and my application is under way. So please stop trying to talk me into taking other more challenging courses, because... refer to what sim and hiao miao and jon said above. If you thought this was the most random course I picked.. think again. Wanna know what else I was interested in? astronomy, archaeology, forensics, zoology, sports science, interior designer, maths/english (despite having no intention at all of becoming a teacher), meteorology... yeah you get the point.. and that's not even half of the list. ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whatever course it is, it all depends on you yourself to make a difference. Take for example, my uncle used to work as an accountant, now is a vice-president for a shipping company based in London.

It's all about hard work. Career professions doesn't make any difference at all even though it did gives a damn in today's society, especially here in M'sia.

Anyway, I wish you luck and all the best in your future. Work hard and strive to the best.

Joce said...

Yeah exactly. I'm very sick of people talking about whether I'm making the right choice. Honestly lah, WHO would know whether they're making the right choice.. who on earth can EVER be SURE that they're making the right choice. sheesh.. but now i choose to ignore them. If they wanna ask me, I just ask them come here and READ this post. ahah.

Thanks so much for being so supportive. I need more supportive friends like you who don't doubt me. =)

Anonymous said...

Agreed. Good on you Joce.
Success comes from what you do, not what you don't.

All the best!

Let me know when you're building that hotel. :P

Joce said...

Wow thank so much to you too!! And for being such a nice friend, I'll give you discounts or free rooms! haha kidding bout owning my own hotel.. I doubt it'll ever happen ;)

oh yeah, I'll probably be in Adelaide, fairly near Melbourne right? I expect a visit! =)

deaf-knee said...

it's good to know that you're choosing the life you want, and not the life everyone expects you to lead. hats off to you. :)

Joce said...

Thanks! Honestly I never imagined myself going for this line as well, but since it's decided.. it's decided. =) thanks!!