Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Family

The 6-letter word that, according to Wikipedia, means a domestic group of people (or a number of domestic groups), typically affiliated by birth or marriage, or by comparable legal relationships — including domestic partnership, adoption, surname and (in some cases) ownership (as occurred in the Roman Empire). Although many people (including social scientists) have understood familial relationships in terms of "blood", many anthropologists have argued that one must understand the notion of "blood" metaphorically, and that many societies understand 'family' through other concepts rather than through genetics. (ok yeah I'm lazy I just copied and pasted that from wikipedia.com *grin*)

I just watched Amazing Race, the family edition, and honestly, however weird it may seem, I was touched by some of the families. The unity they showed, the care and concern for one another. Despite constant bickerings and accusations towards one another, they pull together and support each other when it comes to the challenges. (although a million dollars waiting at the end if they win might be motivating the unity =) I saw all sorts of "families"; ranging from the typical father-mother-children family, to a family of siblings, and there was even a family of a father-in-law and his three son-in-laws participating in this reality program.
To me, family relationships are really important. The parents who brought us into the world, the siblings who quarrel with us, the grandparents who care about us, the aunties uncles cousins etc etc. whom we meet many times in our lives (this if, of course, subjective.. depending on every individual's situation.. but just generally.) When things don't go your way, who supports you? Your family. When everyone else walks out on you, when you think you have noone else to turn to, who will always be there for you? Your family. Who will always love you and care for you no matter how imperfect you are? Yeap that's right, your family.

Many of us take our families for granted, myself included.. sometimes. I admit.. that I have all the patience in the world when I deal with everyone else, but sometimes I can be a bit impatient when it comes to my mum. I keep telling myself not to, and I've tried to just entertain her patiently. But sometimes, mums can really be that annoying.. she just keeps asking and asking and asking and never runs out of questions to ask me. But, I've been trying really hard to be patient with her, because I know she has sacrificed SO much for me over the past 19+ years of my life, and I know how much she loves me, and how much she's given to me. After all, I'm sure she had a lot of patience to put up with my many "why's" when I was a kid, and all the headaches I must've given her (I think I still DO give her headaches). I love my family so much, I really don't know what I would do without them. I think they've given me a lot more love than anyone else has given me.. they've given me sacrifices.. unseen things.. lessons.. taught me to be the person I am today.. and I am very very verY grateful for all that.

When I grow up (yerdeh! as if I'm not already pretty grown up =P), I'm gonna adopt kids. Because those kids at orphanages may never know what it's like to have a family. They may never know the love and support a family offers. They may miss out on this wonderful thing called family. Those kids deserve to know the love a family could give.. they deserve that more than anything else.

*I think Miss Teo will kick my ass if she reads this, becayse she used to say "if I see any kids in your essays, I'm gonna assume that you're talking about baby goats. they're called children.. CHILDREN!"*

I know a song.. and it goes like this:

Home, love, family

There was once a time

I must've had them too..

Home, love, family

I will never be complete until I find you

I like this song a lot. Journey to the Past by Aaliyah for the Disney cartoon "Anastasia". Such a sad story...

No comments: