Friday, May 30, 2008

To face unafraid, The plans that we've made

"In life only one thing is certain, besides death and taxes... No matter how hard we try, No matter how good our intentions, we are going to make mistakes. We are going to hurt people. We are going to get hurt. And if you're ever going to recover, there's only one thing to say. Forgive and forget. That's what they say. It's good advice, but it's not very practical. When someone hurts us, we want to hurt them back. When someone wrongs us, we want to be right. Without forgiveness, old scores are never settled. Old wounds never heal. And all that we can hope for... is that someday, we can forget."

I reckon it's really easy to forgive. Forgetting not quite as simple 'cause we can't tell our brains what to remember and what not to. We can't block out reality. We can't fence out hurts. If we could, I'ld be in a really happy place all the time. And I mean that in the sanest way, of course. Heeh. The trick is to not dwell on what hurts us... or what used to. No dwelling. Just walking. Forward, preferably. Sideways is permitted, just not backwards.
Easier said than done, but not as hard as most of us really think. Take this from someone who gets angry one second, and smiles the next. I'm not crazy. I just find it easier to ignore hurts and anger than to pine over them. Keeps you happy and young and vibrant and bouncy. Not that I hop around. Truth is, you really can't please everyone.
I'm in this world to be me. You're in this world to be you. She's in this world to be her. And so on and so forth. If we're all gonna get angry and stay angry at all the little things that hurt us, the world will be an abyss of irate and resentful mammoths eating each other just because "you call me stupid. I don't like. I eat you."
So what if the other person still holds a grudge. You'll be the better person for being able to forgive. And if you learn to forgive, maybe one day you really will be able to forget.
So I've been listening to Christmas songs again (even though Christmas is 7 months away). I can't help it. Particularly since the weather's getting really cold. Like it should be for a proper Christmas mood. But it's summer here during Christmas. *sulks* No making snow angels and Frosty, and picking the perfect tree to chop and decorate. No coming home on Christmas day to a warm fire burning in the fireplace and a roasted turkey sitting on the dinner table. No Mr Scrooge staring in the window at Tiny Tim and his happy family. Okay so maybe that's going a bit far. But it would be nice to have a White Christmas for once.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not that easy to forgive.

To forgive is to forget wholly, regardless of whether the forgivee will wrong you again.

To forgive and not forget is like saying you're okay when you're really not. If you cannot forget your feelings, how can you forgive?

Joce said...

Cynic is back, haha. To forget, not your feelings, but to forget whatever hurt you altogether. That's what I meant.

To forgive IS to forget your feelings or hurt. Or to ignore it. Ignoring it doesn't mean saying you're okay when you're not 'cause if you choose to ignore it, then you ARE okay with it.

It is easy if you had the will to.

But I'm guessing your opinion on forgiving stems from a certain incident that we were talking about in facebook hrm?

I still think forgiving isn't as hard as most people take it to be. If I can do it, anyone can! But maybe I've never been hurt deeply enough to know. Or maybe I'm just... me?